View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
The average (francophone) Montrealer is probably 96% genetically French.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Montreal a few years ago it was estimated that 15% of the "francophone" population has no "French" origins whatsoever. The number is likely quite a bit higher today.
Surely, the number of Francophones who are not descended from French settlers must be higher than those numbers. Montreal is nearly a quarter (23-24%) foreign born, which already excludes by definition, "old stock" French Canadians. I find it hard to believe that quarter (plus the kids of those immigrants) is pretty much still all Anglophone.

I mean, Montreal is what, a third visible minority, right now (and while there's certainly mixing between old stock French-Canadians and these minorities, most are still recent first or second generation Canadians), and I'm sure a lot of them are Francophones now. Add to that, the descendants of non-visible minority white Montrealers descended from earlier waves of immigrants (at least the ones that haven't intermarried with "old stock" French Canadians) who started off English-oriented but eventually switched to, or their kids switched to (even if reluctantly) French, and I'd imagine that the idea that 85-90-something % of Francophones are "old stock" by ancestry seems too high.