View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Someone told me recently this community also protested the installation of SIDEWALKS once upon a time. Can't confirm, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Someone told me recently this community also protested the installation of SIDEWALKS once upon a time. Can't confirm, though.
It wouldn't surprise me. The original plan for Kanata was to have pedestrian and automobile traffic be separated, hence the network of bike/walking paths that run through it. I can see some Teron-purists objecting to sidewalks as a dilution of the purity of the vision.

Beaverbrook was always a weird place. Teron likes to call it a Garden City, but Garden Cities are supposed to be self contained with their own jobs base. Kanata has always been at least in part, a bedroom community with the Queensway its lifeline to jobs.
What industry that is out there is very poorly located. Mitel, Digital, Newbridge etc. all went in as highway based industrial campuses to the north on March Road. The residential may be towers and cottages in a park, but the industrial is all bunkers in a cow field. This contributed to Kanata's sprawl. Those Electrical Engineers ended up buying townhouses in Katimivic then graduated to McMansions in Mortgage Grant.

Had Kanata council had had any guts it would have forced those high tech industries to build in the natural centre of the Kanata, near the Queensway and to build higher when they did so.

Teron seems upset that his grand plan is being tampered with, but the plan was blown in the 80s and 90s. It must be difficult for a man of his age to admit that his vision was flawed, so I'll cut him some slack. He was right about the Beaver Pond. Now is the time to put the brakes on suburban sprawl, but he's wrong about 2 Parkway. Now is also the time to increase density and along Kanata's incipient main streets.