View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2008, 12:59 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshadoh View Post
sportslover - Certainly a good point, but my memory is mostly of the small scale demolitions of small buildings & homes - I'm not exclusively thinking of major demolitions. Certainly the argument can be made that tearing down the Peachtree blocks between 8th & 9th and I assume currently 10th & 11th & 12th & 13th on the other side can be rightfully argued that it was done for the better good of Atlanta - but you get my point (or maybe not, oh well so is life ).

Still - I still hate that they tore down the apartment building on Piedmont and 11th and I do miss a lot of the old homes (though abandoned) that were still around when I moved in Midtown, as well as the old hospital on Ponce near Piedmont - I would especially be saddened that even today buildings of this caliber would be considered disposable.
Oh yeah...I remember the old Presbyterian (I think) Hospital building that was demolished. That was one that I wish had been saved...I don't know how old it was or if there was any historic significance associated with it, but it sure was a neat building. There were some apartment buildings as well in the numbered streets near Piedmont Park that were quietly torn down. I know at least a couple of them were not anything worth saving, but there was at least one that I noticed is gone that seemed worthwhile.

I guess my point is that there has been a good bit of preservation in Atlanta, much more than in some other cities. Not that I thought you were one of them, but there are people here that would have us believe there is nothing historic remaining in the entire city - when there is actually a long list of historic buildings and landmarks that have been saved, protected, restored, or reused.

Last edited by sprtsluvr8; May 20, 2008 at 1:56 AM.