View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 2:24 AM

Downtown in Canada's worst major city

HAMILTON NEIGHBOURHOODS:
CorktownDurandCentralDundasLocke St. SouthBurlingtonStinsonWestdaleSt. ClairKeithLandsdale
The DeltaGibsonJamesvilleConcession StreetDurand NorthDurand SouthOld Dundas HousesHess VillageBarton Street
AncasterNorth KirkendallSouth KirkendallMcMaster UniversityDowntownThe BayfrontThe North EndKenilworth
Mountain BrowTextile DistrictStrathconaNorth StipleyFlamboroughBeasleyChedokeStoney CreekThe Beach Strip

HAMILTON FEATURES:
C I T Y _ L I G H T SStone HamiltonTwilight of the Industrial AgeTwilight of the Industrial Age II
Stone in Dundas and AncasterGoodbye, Hamilton (from 43 floors up)Dirty BrickDay for Night
This broken down old city still manages to wake up every morning...Everywhere, Ontario< R - E - T - R - O >
HAMILTON | Scenes from the cutting room floorS U B U R B I A !Everywhere, OntarioHamilton Rowhouses
< H E A V Y <> I N D U S T R Y > Old Man Winter vs. Hamilton

Shunned by the NHL, spurned by top retailers, scorned by its own citizens, scoffed at by everyone else...

I've shown many great Hamilton neighbourhoods, but I haven't shown a comprehensive tour of Downtown Hamilton. Downtown is usually the first stop for anyone who wants to explore a city, so I decided to give Hamilton the same treatment I give other cities I visit: a walk around the downtown area photographing anything that catches my eye. Downtown Hamilton is a bit of an enigma, it is considered dead by most, it is almost completely lacking in quality retailers, beautiful historic buildings sit empty, threatened with demolition, and potential developers are unable to secure financing for their projects. Yet there are over 30,000 downtown workers, a healthy streetlife and plenty of high density residential nearby. This day was not a good one to show off the streetlife--it was as cold as it ever gets with a high of -7.5 C and windchill of -23 C. I suffered immensely for these photos, most people had the good sense to stay indoors, but I had a lot of ground to cover and this was the only day I was able to get out for photos.

Last edited by flar; May 16, 2009 at 12:57 AM.