View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2010, 8:59 PM

So I finished my semi-trellis patio thing this weekend. It's not really a trellis at all, but more of a support system for patio lights and vines.

Here's what I did:

I took four 10' 4x6" douglas fir pieces of lumber and stained them darker brown. I put them 3' in the ground, so they'd be about 7' tall each, and secured them via quickcrete/compacted soil. (even if it doesn't look like it from the pictures, they are evenly spaced and plumbed/levelled).

To these posts I installed some wire rope (as a support/guide wire) at the tops and anchored them to a single point shakle about 9 feet up on the side of my house.

Then I bought some commercial strings of lights - without plugs (for hardwiring). and strung them along the support wires... this is for patio lighting, obviously.

Then I installed a new GFCI inside a new box on the side of my house and trenched in some electrical conduit with 14/2 romex from the house to the posts. Up two of the posts I ran the conduit and installed an electrical box and outlet - and hardwired the patio lights into the system with the boxes and outlets. I hooked it all up on a switch, also on the back side of the far post, so it all turns on an off by this switch... there are no plugs to plug in or anything.

Finally, I planted some flowering vines (can't remember the type, they're more hearty, but they're not cat's claw) that will hopefully eventually grow all the way up and cover the posts and maybe slightly grow on the wires (maybe).

We already were outside last night playing cards under the lights. It's kind of a nice but soft lighting, like an outside cafe might look like... it's bright enough to easily see the cards (and dinner or something), but it's not too bright. I think the posts give the patio area some nice verticality and break up the monolith that is the block wall, and the vines will soften up the posts and hide the conduit... and overall vines are just cool.

Well, I think it is awesome! You might see my yard on HGTV someday j/k