View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 3:02 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Thank you so much for your comments, everyone. I hope to have more pictures to post soon. I would have taken more that day in June, except it got blisteringly hot and people were staring at me as I oozed down the sidewalk, dripping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Can't wait to get back to Asheville next month, and I love the cool temperate rainforests of the Pisgah National Forest. Those eastern forests are a treasure...I must be following some ancient native american trading route from the confluence because i keep finding myself in the area.
Asheville was actually founded at the intersection of two Cherokee trading paths. Down on the Biltmore Estate, meanwhile, archaeologists have unearthed a Conestee Indian village that far predates the Cherokee, where they have found copper and the bones of a wolf native to Michigan, and seashells from species native to Florida. It would appear that tourists have been coming to Asheville for a long, long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
very nice collection. Asheville appears much larger than I had assumed.
Out of curiosity, how big did you think it was?
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947