View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 8:43 PM
Everywhere all at once

Certain qualities of this tower are redeeming. It's massing on the east and south faces is somewhat more reminiscent of prewar design than, say, Elysian...and the crown, though uninspired, is a better attempt (note I used the word "attempt") at emulating an old-fashioned crown than Elysian or Park Tower. I still think 2520 is going to wind up being the best of this odd class of towers, and even that I say with reservation.

What I'm most curious about is how these faux-prewar buildings are going to age...will they grow on Chicago in 20 years, or will they just grow more reviled? I wonder in comparison to a famously polarizing case here in New York..the MetLife Building that bisects Park Avenue at 45th Street has been voted numerous times the ugliest building in the city. It's imposing, monolithic and unadorned, but I'll tell you..IMO, I cannot imagine the view up or down Park Avenue without it, nor would I want to.

So I look forward to seeing how worn, dirty, possibly reclad...these buildings will wind up being 20, 40, 50 years down the line. Only time will tell.