View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 10:50 AM
BUFF$LUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Isn't that pretty much how Downtown Plaza looks now? Two stories of standard mall stores, and a few customers wandering around. Aside from not having a third story, anyhow. Never heard anything about Walmart buying it--there was some talk about a Target in the middle section, and moving the movie theaters to the eastern side by 7th Street, but that was before 24 Hour Fitness expanded on that side of the mall. There have been various rumblings about a buyer, but I haven't heard anything concrete yet.

I kind of like ZuhG Life (the store owned and operated by a local hippie jam band that sells local band CDs, body jewelry and, um, tobacco accessories) even though I haven't found much to buy there, they put on free all-ages shows featuring local bands on the second story of the mall by the food court. Other than that I generally only enter the mall to go to Macy's, the movie theater, or if I'm walking home from Old Sacramento.
You're right, it actually is a lot like DTP, I just think it happens to look more visually attractive. That is all.

I haven't stepped foot inside that ghost town "mall" at all this year, and I remember the last time I did, I literally saw a tumbleweed roll on by. What a shame. This place used to be the go-to spot back in my middle school days of 2001.

I'll tell you what ISN'T an abandoned oasis... 10TH and K on a weekend night!

my buddy and I were cruising around last saturday night and decided to make a right on 10th and K, and boy was is fun. KBAR was packed and looked totally "happening" with it's outdoor area packed, the D-30/Pizza Rock/Dive Bar area was also packed and lively, and well there were people everywhere!! It was so cool seeing that little strip so alive. We had to drive by again to get a look at all of the drunk folk, however, we got pissed once we got to the 900 block. Nothing to look at, except a couple of homeless dudes.

I think what that area needs now is a place to hang out and "people watch" across from the bars and stays open late. Perhaps a place that sells cheap food at a counter, and you can simply kick back and enjoy the scene. I'm sure they'd thrive off folks with drunk munchies.

I now have high hopes for K street, and this 10th and K revival is only the beginning.

Last edited by downtownserg89; Jun 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo