Thread: walking in ROME
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 11:32 PM

Absolutely wonderful pictures! You really got around! I studied in Rome last summer and it is an AMAZING city. I have a couple hundred pictures of my own I may have to post on here eventually. It is such a difficult city to encapsulate with a single description. So many layers of history; so may seemingly contradictory personality traits. One must spend some time and experience it to truly understand this city.

The yellow building with the grey arched door just behind "Baccina 66" in this photo was the girls' apartment while we were there, and us guys were just a few blocks up the street. It was so amazing and inspiring to see the 2,000 year old columns of the Forum of Augustus framed at the end of the street every morning as we walked to class! This neighborhood, Monti, is perhaps the most authentic gem in the entire city. The Piazza Della Madonna di Monti (about a block from this photo) is one of my favorite public spaces in the entire world. So many great memories there.

Also, it is sadly true that eating in Rome requires a bit of trial and error. There are literally hundreds of places that make their profit serving crap food to Americans, and it can take some time to learn how to identify a good spot to eat. Fortunately, the food here is INCREDIBLE once you figure out how to play the Roman restaurant game.