View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Agreed with most of your post except for this point.

A lot of people joy ride on OCTranspo and it does nothing but permeate the general stereotypes of bus travelers. Part of the appeal for LRT, at least for some I would imagine, would be the appeal of having a gate fare system for stations to weed out those trying to cheat the system. I hate to say it, but there are people who might take the train who wouldnt take the bus for this reason - buses have a very negative stigma amongst some, and carrying that over to the LRT might be an unwise choice.

That, and the eventual complaining that would be bound to happen when the free rides are taken away. I'm sure some would lobby for the entire system to be free in perpetuity if you gave them even a sniff of the possibility.

Maybe they could offer free rides on Fridays or Mondays or something, but something entirely free for a set period of time makes me weary of the side effects.
Free rides for the first couple weeks is a pretty common promotion for a new transit line. Toronto's TYSSE opening in December had one day of free transit across the entire system, but it was just an extension.