View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 12:43 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Does anyone really think Gatineau would pick a rail-based technology for linking Aylmer to the transit system when it has already hitched its wagon to BRT and Rapibus (whether it was a good choice or not)?
I think so, especially considering the fact that they plan to eventually make it LRT (déjà vu...). Space is also a problem in Aylmer unless you build it on Des Allumettières (their current idea/plan) which has a small catchment radius (poorly-connected streets) and what little there is within that is at a density which can hardly support a local bus, let alone BRT. Even if they did build it there, the problem of space is even worse when you get to the Gatineau Park, since they'd have to dynamite again, closing down a major artery for weeks, partially rebuild the bridge over the creek AND completely redo the roundabout section. If well done, it will attract relatively few people and probably piss commuters off more than anything since the two other roads to Ottawa will be tied up for weeks on end.
What's worse is that they're planning to create a new centre of employment and commerce along des Allumettières, despite being unwalkable from anywhere in Aylmer (or anywhere, really) and doomed to perpetually being on the fringe of the city because of the new Urban Boundary. The problem here is that it would effectively kill Principale, the revitalizing heart of Aylmer and the only reason they're putting jobs there is because it's to be served by the Rapibus. What I propose is that they build a tram/LRT along the main artery of Aylmer and bring the jobs to the centre of the town on the ruins of the dying mall and stripmalls and their sea of parking lots so the existing businesses and the future jobs can benefit from eachother and add life instead of draining it to the outskirts.

I think I've got a very strong argument against the n and I'm taking this further: I'm actually drafting a letter to the editor of the local newspaper, arranging a meeting with my municipal councillor and, if that works out, I'll seek the support of the APICA, the business association of Aylmer. Whatever bridge needs crossing, I'll cross then, but I've got a plan as for what I'll do for the moment.

The only thing more dangerous than a determined person is a determined person with a lot of time on his hands.