View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Oregon was just allocated a staggering $450 million to cap I-5 in the Albina District of Portland. What a shift in priorities, hope to see it in Detroit as well.
There's a long list of these types of projects.
  • Buffalo, New York, is getting the largest award: a $55.6 million grant to build a cap and tunnel over a 1960s-era six-lane expressway, which segregated Black residents from the rest of the city.

Oak Park, Michigan, a Detroit suburb, is receiving $21.7 million to reconstruct a crumbling plaza over I-696, a trenched highway that bisects the city's Orthodox Jewish community.

Boston is getting $2 million to begin planning a park over the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) in Chinatown, considered the state's most polluted neighborhood.

St. Paul, Minnesota, received a $2 million grant to study the environmental and traffic impact of a proposed five-block "land bridge" to reconnect the city's majority Black Rondo neighborhood.

Tampa is getting a $5.3 million grant to lower an interchange ramp to street level in order to eliminate the barrier between downtown and the city's riverfront and to make the streets safer for walking and biking.

Source