View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 4:37 AM
them bones

I have rear-view cameras in both my cars and while I can say that it makes parallel parking alot easier, I almost never use the screen when backing out of the driveway or in a parking lot. The field of view simply isn't enough.

I will also say that as a long time driver (20 years) it's taken me alot just to trust the camera for parallel parking (but it does work).

Those things being said, MOST of the child backing-over accidents seem to occur in the driveway or in parking lots and thus the camera doesn't really help. My older Toyota (2007) that I recently got rid of had the backup sensors rather than a camera. Worked exceptionally well when some pedestrian walked behind me in a parking lot...even a short one. But oddly both of my newer cars with cameras lack the sensors. Go figure...

Count me in the club that says that ALL drivers need to learn how to drive a manual. My wife has no clue how to because her parents were lazy. I was forced to learn (my first car was a stick and my Dad gave it to me 30 miles from home and said 'have fun getting home'). I wanted to buy a manual the last two times I've purchased a vehicle and it's really hard to find one anymore (amongst newer vehicles).