View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
You could just connect Elston to Ogden so they form one continuous roadway. Or link them at a riverfront traffic circle. I don't see how that solves the problem I'm describing, though... plus I don't think a bridge replacement is feasible in such a physically constrained site where there are no nearby alternative bridges. I suppose you could stripe it asymmetrically so westbound traffic gets two full lanes and does not back up through the Larrabee intersection - but three car lanes leaves no room for cyclists.
Sorry, I did go beyond the problem you were describing and started to address other things I saw happening along the whole stretch east of the Kennedy. I'd love to ensure there's an "R" in any BRT there. But who knows - we're talking huge swaths of land on the former Cabrini/Green sites, so in the long term if traffic volumes substantially increase, this might help. And if you're going to nab some land for re-routing roadways in that area, it should be done before they get redeveloped. Also, re: the bridge, do you think it can't be widened owing to the clearance between the two former warehouse buildings? Or just that it would have to be a little unusual, like nixing the sidewalk on one or the other side?