View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 10:47 PM

[QUOTE

On the Uni City High site, there is no good reason for maintaining the old school buildings. They weren't placed efficiently which precluded reuse, and they would be empty anyway. I'm disappointed that the handsome little International Style school on the west side of the site got razed (that would've been a good reuse IMO) but otherwise uCity Square is a land bank until the Science Center can "get around" to developing the site.[/QUOTE]

The old Uni City High School site included a good amount of raw land, so if they had wanted to, there were numerous building sites along north 38th St. that were available before needing the land that the school was sitting on.

I too was surprised by the speed in which the demo was done, and it was done quick, Quick, QUICK. To me it almost seemed the owners were running afraid that the school building was going to be listed as historical or that some new environmental danger was going to be announced.

I'm alittle surprised that Drexel with all its recent student population increases wasn't interested in using some of the classroom space for a few years----

I don't know what its like in other major cities but here in Philly there never is a lack of money to do demo. A owner can be in debt up to their eyeballs, and in bankrupancy court, but they can always find a way to afford demo.