View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 8:26 PM

^ Exactly. It's our culture, and we should at least promote it and be proud of it. When I had family visit me from Europe a couple years ago the first thing they wanted to see was "cowboys and indians". They didn't give a crap about the art gallery or the Winspeare. They have way better stuff like that at home. Moreover, they were brought to tears by the wide open spaces, abundant wildlife, and absence of the stifling, overcrowded conditions that people in the rest of the world endure. Even the farms over there feel crowded and packed and compartmentalized. We don't how good we have it. There's so much we should be doing to promote our local culture and history to appeal to the European and Asian tourists... instead, we trash "Klondike Days" because it's not edgy and irreverent enough, apparently, and rename it "Capital X" (whatever the hell that means).

Personally, I prefer the city life, but that's no reason to disdain our history and what we are, especially if can be made into a source of jobs and exposure via tourism.