View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 10:34 PM

re: AMBULANCE photo from 'Thru Traffic' [1935] -also known as 'Speed Devils'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
Hoss & e_r, sorry to disappoint, but I couldn't find the locations involved. I'm reasonably convinced that in the second photo we're somewhere (a) on Franklin Ave. between Western and Argyle or (b) on Argyle between Franklin and Yucca or (c) On Yucca between Argyle and Vine. This was the route of PE's Western-Franklin Line. The streets are or were sufficiently narrow, and the streetcar looks like a PE 600 class car that would've been used there in 1935.

Cruising the route in the Googlemobile showed stretches of Franklin where buildings similar to those pictured still stand, but not those specific buildings. The passage of 82 years (!) has led to a great deal of newer construction, and the Argyle-Yucca portion of the route has been disfigured by the Hollywood Freeway.

I viewed the relevant segment of the movie on You Tube, but I wasn't able to catch the exact frame that you did, Hoss. I was trying to see if I could get a larger, unpixelated view of what I think is a street sign topping the Acme traffic signal toward the upper left corner of the frame.

And that leads me to e-r's original mystery photo. I don't think the 90-degree turn is legit - looks to me like studio process. But the photo itself shows only a single track, and I don't know offhand of anyplace in Hollywood where such an arrangement existed. Maybe I missed something. I'll try You Tube again if I get the chance. Perhaps Wig-Wag or EdWorkman can offer some advice.
Thanks for giving it the old college try HH. I really appreciate it.

I'm starting to think we'll never figure out the street.

__