View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Ok let's be clear I come from a farm, hauled grain in the winter when trucks don't start, fought with snow wind and ice. When I moved to Saskatoon the skywalks at the university blew my mind. 99% of students use them in the winter, and with school mainly being in the winter, and having classes 20 minutes walking distance from each other, without the skywalks I would have transferred in my 2nd year. I've spent enough time freezing my ears off this life, and in the summer, the skywalks at campus are utilized for the bare minimum because the U of s campus is so beautiful outside just like our downtown. Now that I live and work downtown it is the same thing, but I am so sick of winter. Even if a better transit system came to town and had buses every ten minutes it is painful to sit and wait even minutes for buses and wait for streetlights on -20 blizzarding days. I will most likely be moving from this city for work in the long run because I am tired of being exposed to the winter life. I love skating, skiing, all the winter amenities, but commuting to work in -20 weather getting sweaty in a big jacket, soaked shoes/having to wear larger boots just to walk to work.... not in my long term plan. At the U of S I and many other students would take 20 minutes in the skywalks to get from one side of campus to the other for classes versus 10 outside in the winter, and that's how I plan on getting to work if I end up living and working downtown in windy Toronto or also cold Calgary in the long term. I can't believe how much people are against skywalks on here. It's half the reason why executives at companies don't want to move here. Let's keep these people away from the elements in the winter. There is no secret to making winter nice, it sucks and it's why Saskatoon has no people because this city is one of the prettiest in North America in the summers.
Never understood why people move from Saskatoon to Toronto or Calgary. Vancouver and Victoria are much better fits. Saskatoon like winter conditions would result in the declaration of natural disaster. The military would need to be mobilized to deal with the snow. Out here snow belongs on the ski hills, infiltration into the cities is simply not tolerated.