View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 3:37 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see something like the people mover or something out of epcot meandering through AA's streets. But in certain areas elevating it is absolutely necessary for rail to exist, where others it is not. Like Jason mentioned, areas around north campus would likely see tracks on the ground, and perhaps nearby CC Little on Central Campus.

This system (with what very little info we have) isn't my idea, and I don't necessarily support elevated rail, if it were to even happen But what I do support is some sort of express rail system between campuses that would also permit U of M to continue to operate bus services to areas distant from the h-c route.

I know several forumers here commute between North and Central and understand how ridiculous the crowding can get. I don't think U of M can add more buses without being impractical. I did a project a year ago and surveyed ridership of buses between north and central. Sometimes 3 pull into a stop at the same time and they are all full. Even with service running every 5 minutes, it's not going to help people get to class in time. The real blunder was building North Campus and expecting people to travel a mile between classes. I don't think they ever predicted that amount of intercampus travel. As both campuses grow, so must the transit system, beyond the technology we already have.