View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 5:52 AM

I agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
After looking at this project again yesterday, I still think that the new tower is a real dog. Those "overhangs" that are supposed to be the cornices in the original renderings are ridiculous. The tower looks like an overgrown mediocre condo development stuffed on top of a nice old building/facade. I find it to be almost hideous.

Although it definitely improves the street scape with the return of a historic brick building that was lovingly restored, even the residence lobby looks trite to me--like a place for the rich who don't have very good taste to live.

Overall, it benefits the City, but it could have been so much better. IMO, Ritz-Carlton's image has been diminished by allowing their name to be attached to this developer's misguided architectural adventure. It looks more like the influence of Marriott, Ritz-Carlton's owner.
I agree this is a really ugly mediocre building. Rather than trying to blend with such a bland design I would prefer the new condo tower to be unabashedly modern because, hello, its a condo tower on top of an old building. If ever there is a time to create a great contrast this is it. The Hearst building New York really pulls this idea off IMO. I love to look at that building. This just looks like it was trying to not offend anyone.