View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Still with curling in Quebec...

The sport most definitely has a presence in Quebec. Though it's far from being as big as in the rest of the country.

Quebec has often been competitive at the Brier, and even won it in 2006.

Only the second time it won in the tournament's history.

The Brier hasn't been held in Quebec in about 30 years I think...
I agree that it doesn't have the same overall presence there but
I find that in Quebec it really depends on the region and sometimes even just the municipality when it comes to curling. Maybe it's somewhat like that in Ontario too? I can tell you that a higher percentage of people in Northern Ontario have curled than in the GTA.

The curling clubs in Timmins, Rouyn-Noranda and Val-d'Or are all quite similar and many were started by mining companies.

When I look at places with curling clubs I see very similar characteristics of those places in Ontario and Quebec that have them.

-more frequent in resource-based communities (many clubs were started by mining and forestry companies)

-they also seem to be more frequent in agricultural-based towns

-more likely to be found in smaller isolated communities

-larger cities that have them don't really have more than one or two clubs and they tend to have been started by the wealthy and some only welcome people willing to pay a lot in order to become members

-there are some large cities that don't have them

The oldest curling club in Canada is the Montreal Royal Curling Club which was founded in 1807.