View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 1:09 PM

The pics show the outermost suburban areas of Hamilton, almost everything shown here was built in the last few years, a lot of it in the last few months. There are a bunch of older suburban areas that look like the pictures Cambridgite posted--you'll find the mostly vinyl houses on Hamilton Mountain, and in Waterdown and Stoney Creek.

I focused on middle class suburbs here, staying out of the rich areas and gated subdivisions. I also stayed out of Burlington, where most of the suburban development has occurred over the past few decades. Burlington is "full" now so the new developments have spread south of Hamilton where there are two new expressways (The Linc and RHVP) and to Waterdown, which is seeing explosive growth.

New homes in Dundas are generally all brick; Dundas demands a slightly higher quality I guess. Ancaster is one of Canada's wealthiest communities and there are some really nice homes there but also a new crop of cheap stucco houses for people who want to pretend they're rich. The ugly, pretensious house RePinion pointed out is one of them.

Some of the wealthier Ancaster places might look even more like Dallas 'burbs:

Here's one of the wannabe stucco houses in Ancaster:

And one gate for the hell of it: