View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
Hi,

I have seen a similar idea in McKenzie Towne. Briefly looking at the City of Calgary's planning department website I've found that these types of garages are not allowed (2nd floors are not allowed). I hadn't looked any further than a passing glance. If we weren't parking CO2 emitting vehicles in the garage I bet the city would be much more open to the concept.

I've lived in houses that had the main floor as one residence and the second floor as a second residence. Not the same thing, but a good option. Victoria has large 100 year old houses that have been converted to 3 or 4 condominium units, so clearly that option is viable if the house/land is large enough.

s.
I am in MacKenzie Towne and completed my Carriage Suite in June.

The lots needed to be zoned R2, and the maximum allowable floor space is 576ft^2; although you can get some additional space by adding a third story loft (if you can keep it under the height restrictions).

The economics are wonderful. We were able to build ours for right around $100k, and when you consider that to build an equivalent garage (large, heated, great electrical service, running water and sewer) would cost over $30k, the rent (north of $1,100/mos) provides a terrific return on capital.

My understanding is that the city is looking at being more flexible in allowing these types of structures to be built in established neighbourhoods, but I have no insight on how that has translated into the real world.

~gorebug