View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Portland actually has a lot of funded projects for high quality bike infrastructure in downtown:
  • Flanders Bridge over I-405
  • Sullivan's Crossing over I-84
  • Central City Multimodal Project ($8 million allocated, projects TBD)
  • West Burnside & 18th / 19th protected intersection
  • SW Bond, from the Tilikum Crossing to River Parkway, with a protected bike lane
  • Extension of NW 20th under Highway 30, including protected bike lanes
  • Repaving of Naito/Front north of NW 9th, which will include new (painted) bike lanes

It's frustrating how long how long it's taking for some of these to get off the ground, but when they do they'll make a big difference.

Looking further ahead, the new SDC list for the next 10 years, published today, also includes these projects as SDC eligible:
  • Willamette Greenway Trail, $2,500,000: Provide two paths in order to separate bicyclists from pedestrians in remaining gaps of South Waterfront's Willamette Greenway trail.
  • NW Naito/Front Corridor Improvements (9th - 21st), $3,608,417: Construct multimodal safety and access improvements including sidewalk infill, protected bike lanes, signal improvements, and lane modifications.
  • Bond Ave Extension, Phase 2, $16,000,000: Extend SW Bond one-way northbound from SW Whitaker to Porter, extend Portland Streetcar service north of the Tram, and convert Moody to one-way southbound operation to form a couplet
  • I-405 South Portland Crossing Improvements, $5,000,000: Improve opportunities for people walking and bicycling to cross I-405 on Harbor Dr, Naito Pkwy, 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, and Broadway.
  • SW Broadway Bikeway and Streetscape Improvements, $1,500,000: Enhances the existing protected bikeway and sidewalks on SW Broadway adjacent to Portland State University. Includes the construction of a raised bikeway, sidewalk amenities, green street features, ADA improvements, pedestrian islands, curb bulb-outs, and a full signal at Harrison.
  • NE Multnomah Protected Bikeway, $2,000,000: Construct permanent improvements to the NE Multnomah St protected bikeway, including pedestrian islands and transit islands.
  • Broadway/ Weidler Corridor Improvements, Phase 1, $9,000,000: Enhance existing bike lanes and improve pedestrian/bicycle crossings. Add traffic signals, improve signal timing, improve transit stops, and construct streetscape improvements.
  • Central City Multimodal Improvements, Phase 2, $20,000,000: Construct high-priority bikeways, pedestrian improvements, and transit priority treatments in the Central City.
  • Inner Hawthorne Multimodal Corridor Improvements, $2,000,000: Construct an eastbound protected bikeway with transit islands to improve pedestrian and bicycle safety and comfort as well as transit operational efficiency. Explore feasibility of eastbound bus only lane as part of project design.
This is an impressive list. I can't wait to ride the The Broadway/Weidler PBL and Central City PBLs in particular (I thought the NE 7th bridge was in design phase? Not funded?). I agree with many of PBOTs initiatives and projects, and find them one of the most promising DOTs I have communicated with (in the US). I understand also their hands are often tied by political forces I do not understand.

However, I find their oft-used "lack of funds" reasoning somewhat deceitful. I observe a similar functional effect, with paint and sometimes a few pots. For example, the Jay St PBL in Brooklyn, and the NE Multnomah PBL in Portland. Add paint and pots: Instant PBL. If PBOT asked for paint donations to create a PBL on SW Broadway, it would be done in a week. There's no lack of advocates in Pland. A very nice can of paint and removal of one of the 3! car lanes would have allowed families to ride through downtown a decade ago. All Pland needs is leadership.