View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 7:35 PM
BANNED

^^^ I have to say that we will see two main prongs of modernism, the first, Dubai Modernism, "lets do it because we can" 3rd world modernism, which I think will ultimately be a failure. It will fail because it will be a sign of waste in what is coming to be a time where we all must become more conservative with our behavior. There is no need to build gigantic cantilevers (CCTV) for no reason other than it looks cool when that money could be put into making the building use less resources... This is not revolutionary and leads nowhere other than to even more ridiculous designs... Its no more than pure exhibitionism which, in architecture, almost always leads to failure in the long run...

The second I think will be the expressionism I mentioned above which will probably be as successful and revolutionary as early modernism itself was. It will share the same philosophy of form follows function. The only reason we will deviate from old modernism is that our function parameters and technology will change, completely altering the end result...