View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:47 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
In the former Yugoslavia I nearly busted my head open on a slick mossy sidewalk and in Rome I almost broke my ankle stepping off a tram onto a broken curb. Those were legitimate liabilities, this is not. You would have to be mentally retarded to somehow get hurt because the crosswalk is painted like a rainbow. But somehow the most ridiculous part of the story isn't the federal order but the fact that it cost $12,000 to paint a rainbow on the pavement. What? Did they hire a plumber to paint it with $500 a gallon paint?
No doubt about the cost. I'm sure that probably includes the cost of proposing it and getting it approved and doing whatever government approval processes are required even for small projects, and the paint probably is pretty expensive - but nonetheless, $12,000!?!? If it took two union workers a full day of work at a cost of, say $800 per day per worker (including salary, benefits, and everything else to employ someone), that's $3,200, then if the paint was $500 per color, there are 6 colors, so that's another $3,000, leaving nearly an additional $6,000 to cover any administrative costs associated with planning and execution.

Versus what could have been accomplished by allowing a community group to temporarily paint them with exterior house paint or something for a month around Pride that would probably have cost $300 in paint and no salary and maybe $300 more to cover costs of removing the temporary colors after Pride.
[/SIZE]