View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 5:50 PM

I'm fine with toll roads, and expanding them. Tolls are user fees, which are fair and more direct than general taxes. With gasoline taxes covering roads, I am paying for roads that I may not be using. I'm paying to maintain a road that I did not contribute any wear and tear to. But when I pay a toll, I am using the road, so I am effectively paying for the wear and tear that I've caused.

To anyone that says tolls are worse or more regressive than gasoline taxes, I would say that gasoline taxes could be worse for all, especially the poor. If someone poor owns a car, they pay that tax any time they drive, even if it's down the street to work or to the supermarket. But with tolls, someone poor only pays that tax when they cross that bridge or use that expressway. With tolls, poor people have options: they can use free surface streets instead of the tolled expressway, and save money and pay with their time (instead of paying for the convenience of saving time, like buying milk at a corner drugstore instead of a supermarket farther away). Or, they can drive around the bridge and find a free bridge. Or, they can take public transportation across. Someone poor can't avoid the gasoline tax if they still need to drive, though.