View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 11:47 PM

Its looking more and more like the crane fell due to installation issues.Today the Seattle Times mentioned

"State investigators are studying the base of the crane, which was connected to steel beams in the parking garage of the construction site instead of to a concrete foundation — the method normally used to hold tower cranes.

David Weber, president of Northwest Tower Crane Service in Tukwila, which erected the crane Sept. 9, said Tuesday that before agreeing to the job, he looked at plans for the base presented by the general contractor and its engineering firm and concluded they were satisfactory.

"It was designed by competent engineers," Weber said, noting that engineers relied on calculations and load limits provided by the crane's Swiss manufacturer.

Weber said that although Northwest has never used a crane base identical to the Bellevue configuration, the company has attached cranes to steel beams at a few other construction sites." Seattle Times Reporters.

By the Way I'm new here..I'm Michael,I'm always reading all the great information here so I thought I would join in. This is such a great site.