View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 1:45 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Just checked on admissions policies at the Met, and yes, NY, CT, NJ residents are still suggested donation only. Non-residents of these three states are $25 admission. And again, I think this is a very fair price for such a ridiculously prestigious museum.

As for the specific artworks in the AIC's (or Met's, or Louvre's, etc...) collections, well, different strokes for different folks, right? I'm a huge fan of relatively contemporary pieces, plus impressionism. Give me Monet, give me Van Gogh, give me some Picasso, give me something like American Gothic, give me some Lautrec, etc., I'm a happy boy. I do happen to also like the more historical stuff like Asian, African, Oceanic, etc... etc... Not everything needs to be a bunch of Renaissance works.

Regardless, my point is that on nearly every world rankings list, the AIC is definitely right up there with the world's great art museums. And I don't think $20 is unfair in terms of admissions cost, especially when there are so many free and reduced-fee days for Chicago/Illinois residents.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Thanks for saying this in response to Baronvonellis’ silly post. Let’s not forget that a great amount of artwork in the Met is ancient near east/Egyptian stuff. We happen to have one of the world’s greatest collections of that here in Chicago, but not in the AIC. It’s at the Oriental Institute, a facility that doesn’t get as much acclaim as it deserves.

If seeing room after mind-numbing room of Renaissance paintings of random European nobles and Biblical scenes is really your thing, then yeah, AIC is probably not going to be your favorite place.

Also, don’t forget that Illinois residents still get free admission to these museums several days per year.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q