View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 8:58 PM

I think we are confusing what all this means for our values, and not necessarily the values of others. The idea that historical architecture should be preserved, as a "living" museum, etc. is a value. It is not a universally held one at that. And it is one that almost everyone here makes exceptions for, too. Let's face it, historic structures are important because they are rare, especially here in the west, thus providing unique experiences in terms of cultural and historical education. In order to create conditions for the appreciation of historical architecture, much of it must disappear. This is not my philosophy-- I'm not arguing that things should or shouldn't be bulldozed. I'm just talking about the relationship we have to history.

If you combine a cultural tendency to discount the value of historic structures if only for practical reasons with a religious ethic, that, as photolitherland mentioned, discourages even the appearance of a "worshipful" appreciation of things other than the religion's deity, you get this. This is a product of some very different values from ours, and at the same time some very similar ones, too.

Flickr Blog Site