View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:24 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I've read a little online, but still don't fully understand... what exactly is a world trade center designation and what comes with it? I'm not sure I trust our city council enough to think this is a wise expense.
If Savannah and Little Rock can have one, I certainly think Birmingham is worthy. Think of it as Innovation Depot for local and international collaboration.

For example, a tech company in the medical field wants to expand their offerings to UAB. The World Trade Center provides the facilities and support to facilitate that and get it going. At the same time, on our end, Birmingham's tech community and institutions would be expected to reciprocate by investing, or expanding a footprint, into the city/region of the international tech company. It goes both way. It's essentially a way to funnel investment/collaboration into and out of Birmingham. New investment comes into town and we respond by doing the same thing on the other end.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State