View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Better to use the billions to invest and develop property in Detroit. Detroit needs economic activity not charity.
Bah, successful businessmen to pay back society by their private charity initiatives is said to be something very American here.

I find it cool, but here in Europe, and in France in particular, mindset and approach in that matter are not exactly the same. It's up to public authorities to enforce so called charity, or social policies, cause locals are rather distrustful. Lol, they simply think personal initiatives can't make up for excessive greed, and that the rich won't ever be generous or understanding enough. For that reason, in my country, taxes keep hitting the rich and successful businesses pretty hard, which is quite awkward and often ineffective given the trend that currently runs global economy.

So, I couldn't tell who's right in that respect... Assuming both methods may be both right and wrong, depending on cases or situations. I think the rich are usually able of empathy to the poor anyway. There's no reason to disparage them as if they were lunatic psychopaths, but let's just put it this way: they're most often not in real touch with social realities because of social divides. Inequalities (the gap between the rich and the poor) are truly alarming in today's US society, as if people wouldn't live the same world depending on their bank accounts. That's a bit mad for real.