View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
Media is one of my favorite areas in the Philly region (solid SEPTA regional rail connectivity too). For anyone who hasn't visited but is looking to check it out, you can spend any Wednesday night in the summer walking along car-free State Street and eating outside for Dining Under The Stars. Plenty of great restaurants, especially for a place its size. My favorite spot for dinner and beers is Sterling Pig, right across the street from the project above, and right at the end of State Street, shown below. Cool town.

Media should really be cultivated as a little satellite city. The term "Media" is often used to include not only the borough of Media, but other municipalities that share the same zipcode. The borough of Media covers only 0.8 square miles (2.1 square kilometres) and less than 6,000 residents, but the Media zipcode 19063 covers 23.08 sq mi (59.8 km2) and has a population of 35,704. It's part of a larger urban development thesis, but I think cool satellite cities (and dense development around transit lines in and around core cities) is the wave of the future as far as maintaining affordability as core alpha and beta cities get more and more desirable and more and more expensive. Wayne is similar with a cool, walkable downtown. And, to a lesser degree, Ardmore. They all could handle densification without losing character and charm if done intelligently.