View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 9:12 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyPeg View Post
I don't believe that kids join gangs because they live in poverty. There are many kids who come from impoverished families and they never join gangs. That direct line that someone said is drawn between poverty and crime? Since all poor people do not necessarily breed criminals, I think that line actually is drawn between those that are taught no self respect and those who were never taught to take responsibility for their actions and crime.

There are many people whose families are considered poor, and the parents in those families still teach their children values and social responsibility.

My parents came from very poor, impoverished backgrounds. They were also taught to be thankful for what they had - I think that is the difference. You can be poor and still have morals.
just because all children who grow up in poverty dont turn to crime or gangs doesnt mean that there is no connection between poverty and crime....

i of course agree that there are many poor kids who avoid these pitfalls and grow up to great people...just as there are many middle class children who grow up to be criminals....it is impossible, however to ignore the obvious connection between crime and economic standing.

look at the map showing where crime happens in winnipeg...it isnt a coincidence that it happens in the poorest neighbourhoods.

it isnt the fact that these people are poor specifically, but the conditions that will lead to the lack of guidance that you talk about are more prevalent in poor households...lack of opportunity, education, broken homes etc....these things all conspire against the poor more than they do middle class children, which leads to a greater proportion of poor kids turning in the wrong direction.