View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 11:35 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
The last meaningful post in this thread was one year ago. Is ANYTHING happening in San Antonio?

Austin, Dallas, Houston - all booming, development-wise. Austin - a city with a smaller population, that lacks a professional sports team and a has smaller geographic area than San Antonio has a downtown skyline that has been completely transformed and is unrecognizable compared to what it looked like in 2000. Houston continues to build 600+ footers, both uptown and downtown. My understanding is that uptown and downtown Dallas have several notable high rise project in the works.

I am perplexed as to the lack of activity in the paltry level of skyscraper / high rise development in San Antonio, the state's third largest city / U.S.A.'s seventh largest city (by city - non MSA - population). The economy seems to be prospering - why does the city's skyline not reflect this? Other U.S. cities whose economies have thrived less than San Antonio's in recent years (Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, etc.), yet have also historically been known to have relatively underwhelming skylines are all experiencing far more development in their respective downtowns / urban cores.

Can anyone explain what's (not) going on in San Antonio? It's one thing to have a strong desire to preserve a city's historical landmarks, buildings and other structures - NYC, Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles all do this well. Why must San Antonio do so at the expense of developing a skyline that reflects its population, tourism stats, cultural influence and economic prosperity?
I’ve also wondered. The frost tower will be nice addition for SA. It’s 400ft I think.