View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 2:10 AM
Majestic

I'm not going to try to make excuses for Calgary. Our sprawl is fucking horrible. Is it the worst? I don't know, and I don't really care anymore. Already been through enough such arguments about that on this forum.

That said, things are changing, if agonizingly slowly and only in certain areas. In my current line of work I've been all over the city and in both older, established communities as well as areas currently populated only by dirt and excavators.

Some developing communities are your typical ho-hum, auto-oriented, single use schlock (Sherwood, Sage Hill, Nolan Hill, Evanston, Valley Ridge, Aspen, Evergreen, Silverado, Copperfield, Cranston, Chaparral, Mahogany, and Auburn Bay to name a few). A few of (like New Brighton) have some condos wedged in, but overall it's the same old crap that's been built for the last twenty years.

The only new suburb in Calgary (not talking about McKenzie Towne here) that I've seen where there is a noticeable increase in density and building types over the old stuff is Walden, which was approved only a few years back.

Flickr