View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
maybe exurbs should start offering tax credits to lure business. the central CBD is an outdated model. fairly soon, stand alone offices might be too. my girlfriend works for a hospital and telecommutes 3 days a week. she talks with drug sponsors across the country in her pajamas. I think suburban nodes of density surrounding the central city make the most sense. its just TOD design on a more macro scale. on a side note, Oregon doesn't have a fire sprinkler code requirement for multifamily housing. isn't that stupid? and everything is made of.......wood!
The "virtual office" has been the next big thing for about 25 years now. The vast majority of people will continue to go to an office and interact with their colleagues.

Portland could develop a multi-nodal layout with the right development in Beaverton, East Portland, etc, but will need to build a lot of real heavy rail in order to not just exacerbate its already terrible traffic on 26 and Burnside Rd.

More practical will be to turn the landscape of single-story warehouses and surface lots in East Portland into multi-story apartment buildings with ground floor retail, and people can walk to work downtown.

You can have a decentralized city (London is much less centralized than, say, Chicago), but it works because of an enormous heavy rail network to connect the various nodes.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov