View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 10:16 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I was just looking at some census data and was in awe that at current growth rates Airdrie (pop 68k) might be the 3rd largest city in Alberta in the next 10-15 years, yet it doesn't have any post-secondary education facilities.

Then I remembered that Red Deer AB, pop ~100k doesn't have a university (it does have a college though).

So I'm curious, what are the largest municipalities, population-wise, in Canada without a university, or without any post secondary schools at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmsma View Post
As a Red Deer person, I am pleased to say we will have a university. No grad studies, but - hoping - offering in house undergraduate degrees will happen within the next three years along with a name change to reflect the upgrade. The official title is "polytechnic university", which in our context means a university that also offers technical courses for folks going into the trades.
Red Deer College and Grande Prairie Regional College both received university charters and are in the process of changing. That leaves Ft McMurray and Medicine Hat as the two largest cities/urban areas that do not have a university although both have colleges.

Alberta is pretty well covered, the bigger suburb cities in the major metro areas of Edmonton and Calgary don't really count IMHO as they are served by the many schools within the main city.

Albert Einstein