View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 4:07 PM

^^^
Wow, NWM, you seem angry today. I can't say this building is that bad, though it isn't my favorite. The balconies are interesting and, though Hovey does it a lot, one cannot call glass boxes with curtain walls an aping of Optima. It is a common trope in modern architecture. I think that the balcony arrangement (while not radical) is a nice movement of this type of modernism. It is hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like (towards the top at least) the balconies don't fill the recesses all the way.

Moreover, this is a far more cohesive design than the previous one with the cantilever and looks far less like a "start/stop/start" design than that does. This looks like a building that is a bit boring, but was always designed that way. I think we would be fine with it had it not been home to so much hope.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton