View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
McCroskey boasted at council tonight that there is a petition against this with 1100 names on it, allegedly because of the impact on the paddling course. She, of course, is against this development.

Since they turned down the United Gulf proposal for the YMCA site across the lake I imagine this will be hotly contested.
Who is "McCroskey" (do you mean councillor McCluskey) and what discussion could have place at council (i.e., a preliminary hearing ) ?

BTW I heard that Councillor McCluskey is actually supportive of the project but is being pressured by non supporters to turn it down (imagine that...). In the end she will hopefully have enough positive support to do the right thing and not get bullied by the negative vocal minority.

United Gulf was turned down because it's clearly within the 35 foot height precinct. My understanding is that the application was also somewhat poorly managed "politically". The Prince Albert is not within the 35 foot zone and specifically excluded as part of the 2006 height policy. Additionally the Prince Albert may be developed as of right for a number of commercial uses ... so what would you rather have, another Tim's, a 20 storey hotel, or this ...

BTW, I was by the Vic in Halifax earlier today and genuinely impressed. Dartmouth has got to get their act together and push for quality developments. There should be no discussion about this stuff - they simply need to get it done. Empowering residents to engage in a public process where councillors are elected to do a job is ridiculous. Government by referendum defeats the need for elected officials in a democratic state. Let the councillors do their homework and do their job - stop second guessing them with these foolish public hearings. Can't get the job done if the only focus is fear of being re-elected. Guess I'm tired of hearing "the people have spoken" ...

Peace ...

Last edited by ibnem2; Sep 21, 2011 at 2:12 AM.