View Single Post
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 9:23 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
This would be true if we were looking at it purely from just the Salt Lake Valley perspective but that's not the case. Salt Lake City is at the near center of the Wasatch Front:

(this is a map of heroin overdoses but you get the point)

Ogden to Salt Lake City is 38.2 miles (Ogden being the general northern edge of the Wasatch Front) and Provo is 45 miles. That's pretty damn centralized.
That was true 10-15 years ago when the job growth wasn't dominated by software. There's something weird going on, because houses in Salt Lake and Utah Counties are all $300-400k+ while I can still get a house in Weber county for under $200k.

The new office buildings are software dominated. And that shifts the center of the map away from downtown to the Silicon Slopes corridor (SoJo to Lehi). Getting a midrise office building approved is a piece of cake, especially if it is along the I-15/Frontrunner corridor. I mean, just look at all the development going up near 106th. It's a freaking edge city now.

If we had a boom in commercial banking, I could see Downtown SLC getting a lot of towers. But the boom is in software. And they've picked their place to plant in the ground and grow. And it pretty much strattles the county line.

Quote:
(this is a map of heroin overdoses but you get the point)
LOL