View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 12:06 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
It can be a satisfying existence all on its own, independent of other modes of living. Why do some of you steadfastly refuse to acknowledge this?
Although I am fine with providing you with the reassurance that it is okay for you to enjoy living the said lifestyle, before I do I would like to reiterate that I think it is completely irrelevant as single areas can contain people living different lifestyles who are enjoying their preferred lifestyle to its max. Alas, it is perfectly normal for someone to like, love, and thoroughly enjoy the 'suburbia' lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I love some aspects of urban living, but overall, it doesn't fit me, nor where I want to be.
Not to single you out mate but this is what irritates me to no end. Urban living is not confined to dense inner city areas, it can be achieved in less dense outer city areas as well. For instance, last week I lived an amazingly urban lifestyle and I was staying in a 2 storey terraced house in an area that did not have a high-rise in sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
The thing I would like the most right now (other then a little bit more space, is a garage, a place where I could maintain my bike, build things, etc.
And you can have that in an urban neighbourhood.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz