View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:42 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Bizarre. All six high schools in Moncton have football fields, two of them with artificial surfaces, expensive scoreboards, and lighting for nighttime games. In addition, there is a dedicated football field at Centennial Park used by the Moncton Minor Football Association, and as a communal football field by several of the high schools (especially for playoffs). It has artificial turf too, as well as a 2,500 seat grandstand. For the provincial football championships, it isn't uncommon to have 4,000 people attending the game.

Is football really that unimportant in Toronto? Just how bad is the disconnect between Toronto and the rest of the country anyway???
I dont think its a Toronto vs rest of the country thing, its an urban rural thing. In Vancouver and Toronto soccer is considerably more popular among youth than gridiron football. I would assume the same for Montreal but dont recall seeing many sports fields in downtown Montreal, i haven't really explored its suburbs. The situation is even more extreme in Vancouver than Toronto, many schools dont even have highschool football programs at all. In the 80's at the height of the NASL's popularity, soccer had around 5 million youth participants (under 24), now its almost 30 million in North America.