View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:52 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
Whew... while this is good for Austin... not so good for Houston... we must continue to have the tallest building in the state.
You know, this is probably going to sound crazy, but I always got a kick out of visiting San Antonio and Fort Worth and seeing taller buildings there. It was sort of a treat. Until 2004, San Antonio had 3 taller buildings than us, plus the Tower of the Americas. Fort Worth had 3 up until 2008 when we passed them that year.

I have always wondered what Austin would look like with taller buildings. How one would compare on the skyline to the other buildings and using the heights of ones here to compare them to buildings of similar height in Houston and Dallas. It's crazy that I might not have to use my imagination anymore to find out, and there's some satisfaction in knowing a building here will be on the level of some of the ones in Houston and Dallas. Still, I would like to go to those cities and still have it be a treat - knowing in you're in a bigger city with a bigger and taller skyline. There's just something that appeals to me about that. 5th highest roof in Texas. All the other buildings that will be taller than this one are at least 900 feet tall.

By the way, I have my doubts about the spire height on the Renaissance Tower in Dallas. The old height we've always seen has been 886 feet, but I've always doubted that height. We knew that the roof height was 710 feet before they added the spire later on. The height that I had sort of guessed it to be was about 810 with the spire. You can measure it in Google Earth and get 850 feet, which is probably more accurate.