View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Agreed 100%. Could be a blessing in disguise. Spend that $45billion they were going to on TWC on companies and technologies that have a longterm future (cable doesn't). The cable business landscape is going to be dramatically different in 10-20 years - become a positive, innovative power player in the dot com universe, and not just as a nagging net neutrality tick on the back of progress.
Your preaching to the choir! I have a feeling that's exactly where they're headed. I think they wanted TW just for the added customers. But I also think that successfully merging two beasts would have proved a lot more troublesome than they could have imagined. Not to say they couldn't have done it, but it would have taken a lot of resources away from the new tech areas they want to get into.

Right now everyone's looking to Google, Apple, fiber, and mobile services as cable's primary potential competitors, but no one's thinking of yet-to-be-invented data access avenues. Can you imagine what truly wireless unlimited data would do to all of the above? If Comcast wants to keep being a top ISP, they could be looking at ways to make TW's provisions irrelevant rather than just buying their customers. Give customers in TW's market a reason to want Comcast.

Who knows, maybe that's exactly what they're doing. If they could figure out a way to beam all their content straight from the Dark Tower without cables, towers, and thousands of technicians, they'd do to cable and fiber what the internet did to newspapers. What's the saying, something like every thirty years a new tech comes along that revolutionizes the way we live? We're overdue.