View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2014, 5:27 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
The reason for the parking permit program due to some communities being more attractive to nonresident parkers than other areas. For example, no-one other than people visiting my neighbours or visiting my house has a reason to park on my street. However communities close to Hospitals, Schools, C-trains, etc. have an issue with nonresidents free loading from the free parking.

I would not support paid resident parking permits because the community did not advocate for or instigate the root cause of the parking problem. In this instance, I feel that increased enforcement of residential parking permit program would yield the same dollar amount and yet non directly affect the residents. Additional enforcement could also include fine escalation for repeat offenders (e.g. first infraction is $40, followed by increasing amounts for subsequent infractions on the plate. Finally lets bring in "Parking Wars" style of enforcement to impound and confiscate cars that have numerous unpaid fines.

Enforcing current Bylaws and Traffic Act sections for all residential streets would yield CPA additional funds they are looking receive. For example,
#1 tag and tow cars that are clearly inoperable after a complaint has been received (for the record CPA will not enforce inoperable vehicle prohibition unless the plate is not associated with a resident and the plate has expired).
#2: RV parked on City street and overnight commercial vehicle on residential street.
#3 Fine and tow vehicles that have clearly not been moved in 72 hours (example Snow from last week's storm has piled up around the vehicle).
#4 Non resident parking on continuous basis (the car registration and plate can be associated with the owner, CPA can check immediately if the vehicle registration is associated with a resident. Instances where the nonresident continuously parks in a particular residential zone, they can be fined for nonresident parking.
Great ideas but it's easier (and probably more economical) for the CPA just to have their camera cars cruise streets and automatically dole out tickets.