View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
I cannot speak to whether existing building code stair/elevator requirements do or do not make (new) small footprint residential towers impossible, but seismic issues are not obviously a factor. SF's existing tall/thin residential towers have not suffered any notable earthquake damage over the decades. Because developers can make a lot of money with taller buildings, and because the views are great, I suspect there would be a lot more of these if it weren't for modern-day NIMBYism:

http://tobiaspeciva.photoshelter.com...000lAHuhRdL7WU
I love that building!

... but seismic costs are not insignificant when it comes to tall slender buildings. current codes require no life threatening damage (this includes stuff falling off the facade) in a 500 year earthquake, which generally require le reducing floor to floor drift to about 1/320 of the floor to floor span. for something with an aspect ratio much beyond 6:1 and especially 10:1, that eats a LOT of floor space in the building.

but those are surmountable problems if the $$$$ on the revenue side are there. unfortunately good architecture and engineering can't overcome short sighted and selfish nimbyism.