View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 9:14 PM

Antimony Mine Suspends Operations

A bit of a blow to the Central region. Hopefully things pick up in the short term and the mine resumes operation.

VOCM, Nov 22, 2012.

Quote:
The Beaver Brook Antimony Mine near Glenwood has suspended operations indefinitely, and 90 workers have been given their notice. General Manager Brendan Alexander says it's been a rough week. The announcement was made on Tuesday and workers were given an 8 week notice while the mine winds down operations. The mine reactivated in early 2008 after a 10 year shut down. Alexander says the suspension of operations is due to a number of factors, including the fact that they encountered a lower head grade than predicted. He says exploration will resume in the spring, and should greater, higher grade reserves be found and market conditions warrant, the mine could reopen, but he doesn't want to provide a false sense of hope. Alexander says in the meantime, they will secure the site and maintain all licenses and permits, while meeting their environmental obligations. The care and maintenance crew will consist of 6 to 10 people, while the last of the 90 full-time staff will wrap up employment January 14th.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...28547&latest=1