View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
These seem like weird routes. I understand that So. Florida is a large metro area and there are many businesses travelers between these city-pairs but I can't imagine that demand is strong enough for five daily nonstops. I would think most leisure travelers in California would decide to go to Mexico or Hawaii instead of South Florida.
There are actually 12 daily non-stops between South Florida and the LA area (AA has seven; VA has two; Spirit, Delta and JetBlue have on each), which in 2008 was more heavily traveled than Boston-LA, Atlanta-LA or Philadelphia-LA.

It is a very busy air corridor, especially due to the entertainment/media/fashion industries and tourism (both tourism as in tourists, and tourism as in the industry behind it). You are underestimating how much Los Angelinos love South Beach - it's like LA, but with a real nightlife since things don't have to shut down at 2AM (which then becomes 1.30AM by default). I'm in South Florida 4-7x a year, though I have family connections.