View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
That's crazy. I don't know what they're trying to pull but I don't like it.
I used to not support public private partnerships at all, but after seeing the success of Vancouver's Canada Line I've warmed up to the concept.

The problem in Toronto for years has been that a plan is cooked up by one government, so much time passes that another government is elected and tries to do away with the previous project. With a public-private partnership, at least the project will involve private contracts that a newly formed government can't just breach without going through intense legal battles.

Now, with that said, that isn't a "good" reason to support public private partnerships, but in Vancouver didn't the private sector pick up some of the tab and is now taking care of operational costs (i.e. the cost of employees to maintain the Canada Line) thus releasing pressure from government expenditure?

I'm very open for debate, but Vancouver's model may be a model for Toronto to follow given Toronto's utter failure at building anything new since the Scarborough RT and Sheppard Stubway. That isn't much progress for 25-30 years of planning in a booming metropolis that is quickly emerging as a new world class city.

The question is how to integrate fare collection. It needs to be an integrated, shared system where its seamless between traditional TTC routes and the Eglinton line if its going to be semi-private.